An Update

My blogging time has recently been overtaken by a more dense school schedule, my working outside the home part time for the first time in years, and by editing video for our YouTube page.

The most recent video shows Ken and Travis looking at mostly names and a few words.  I could blog about the boys' language development, but the videos speak for themselves, so check out out page if you haven't already.

So, how are we all doing almost seven months after the littles were added to our family?  The boys have attached well.  So well, I have to keep reminding myself to continue to be purposeful in attachment activities and behaviors on my part.  The boys are almost inseparable. They are each other's best friend, playmate and brother.  It's been a sweet joy to witness.

The older three Brownies continue to adore and help care for their new brothers.  They are also sometimes irritated by them, which almost makes me as happy.  They treat them like siblings, not like guests in our home.  The other day, my firstborn, Hannah, said, "Mom, I just love them so much. When I think about them...or think about not having them...it makes me want to cry.  I'm so glad I have toddler brothers because I get to snuggle and hold them all the time."  And oh, how they love her! Both boys love their siblings.  Tian has learned to ask for each of them by name any time I'm doing something he doesn't enjoy.  He knows they melt when he asks for any one of them.   The girls are both little mommas, helping dress the boys, scold the boys, and comfort them, too.  TJ is an amazing big brother.  He plays with them, roughhouses, but is also extremely protective and watchful over them.  All five of our kids are blessed to have each other.  We can see every day the joy they bring to each other, even with the typical sibling fighting mixed in.

Travis is proving to be generally very neat, tidy, and a tad obsessive-compulsive at times.  He certainly likes things a certain way and will have a fit when it's not.  He can be a typical fussy toddler, but that's not his typical mode. Mostly, he's extremely happy-go-lucky and easy-going.

Tian idolizes his brother.  If Travis is out of sight, only seconds pass before Tian is asking, "Where's Travis?"  Tian is also a happy kid, enjoying playing with his siblings, his trains, or a few toddler apps on my iPhone.  He seems to have a bit of allergies and asthma. In fact, he's been sick for the past couple of days.  We've had plenty of experience with this thanks to our firstborn, so we kinda know the drill.  We just got albuterol for him today so we can start treatments with the nebulizer.

The older three Brownies are focused on school and home right now.  They still have issues with neighborhood kids, but are navigating those problems well.  They've spent the majority of the days outside with other kids and very little drama.  Always a good sign.

Ken was recently given new responsibilities at his work and is loving it.  I can't express how proud I am of him.  He's always been so very talented in his work.  It thrills me to see his employer making use of his skills.  It's a great time to be with Z! 

I'm working, freelance interpreting, for the first time in years.  When we moved to Texas, I didn't have the time to build my own reputation professionally. School and home management were plenty for me to do.  You'd think now would be the worst time to work, but it's been fun to get back out there.  The beauty of my work is that I can set the schedule, working only when it "works" for my entire family.

The main focus of The Brown Seven right now is work, school and family.  It's fun to see the boys' language allow them to show more of their personalities.  I hope it's not too long before they are able to tell us more about their first two and three years of life.

Thanks for following us on our journey!

Comments

  1. Sarah, thank you so much for allowing all of us to peer into your private family life through your blogging and sharing videos on youtube. I am constantly re-posting things about your family on facebook and sharing your blog with others. Your story will impact so many as others raise their own Deaf/HOH children, whether they are born biologically or adopted. God has allowed your family to experience some awesome things through adoption of Deaf/HOH children and I pray He continues to bless each
    of you as you follow Him wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love your blog!
    btw, you were in a swiss newspaper, heres a link if you want to check it out :)
    http://www.20min.ch/wissen/news/story/Wie-der-stumme-Travis--plappern--lernt-27720858

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just discovered your blog. My daughter is is 3 years old as well. We adopted her out of foster care right before she turned 2 and she had no language. She has made leaps and bounds in her language and has recently shown interest in letters and words. She knows all her letters and I have shown her a few sight words but beyond that I am at a loss. I am a teacher of young children and have taught many children to read using a phonics approach and I am at a lost of what to do with her. Snce you home schooled I was wondering if you could point me to some resources of teaching Deaf children to read. Thank you so much, your blog is so inspiring.
    Isadora
    isadorahowardkarp@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Review: Maya Chan Beach Resort In Costa Maya, Mexico

Travis Update Ending 2013

2022 Year In Review