Doing Our Part to Keep Austin Weird

The Brownie Clan has gone through a lot of changes over the past 12 months.  Downsizing, moving, adding to our family through adoption, radically changing our daily schedule, etc.  A few posts back, I alluded to our moving when our lease is up.  Well, we're making one more "big" move and it's to Austin!


Austin is about 215 miles south of where we are now, so we're not moving to the other side of the US, but it's still going to be a big move for us.  Next week, we're going to visit the Texas School for the Deaf and will have both boys tested by an audiologist there.  

There are several reasons why we are choosing to make Austin our home, but the driving factor is Travis' (and possibly Tian's) education.  The boys have made amazing strides with their language development, but I can't spend as much time working one-on-one (or even one-on-two) with the boys as I would like.  I still have a 6th, 4th and 3rd grader to teach, so that leaves down-time for the boys that I'd rather use for more language bombardment!

So next week, the boys will be tested and we'll begin the application process for them to attend TSD.  I know Travis will be accepted, but am not sure about Tian.  In order to qualify, he must have some hearing loss in both ears.  I'm just not sure how much, if any loss he has in his left ear.  Guess we'll know next week!

We will miss our family, friends, church group, homeschool group and my new fellow interpreters at Z here in the Big D, but are excited about the Deaf community and opportunities Austin offers.  

Our move won't take place until late July or early August, so we still have 4 months to say bye to our Dallas friends.  My parents, sister and niece live up in this area, too, so we plan to be back up to visit every couple of months. 

Ken will continue his job with ZVRS and I should be able to transfer to the Austin call center and continue my new, part-time job as a Video Interpreter for Z.  (Have I mentioned that I LOVE my new job?!)

Later next week, I'll report on our Austin trip and tour of TSD.  Can't wait!

Comments

  1. My sister, brother in law and 2 nieces and a nephew live in Austin. We loved it when we were there. We have tossed about the moving to Austin thought to be near our family and to send the boys to an amazing school for the Deaf. Plus the warmer weather would be a great bonus for me as I am a winter hater! New Jersey is a very expensive place to live and Texas is cheaper but not sure about Austin though. Praying for your new move and who knows maybe you will see us there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! I think it sounds like an exciting time for you guys and I'm thankful that we can keep up with you on facebook. Okay, I guess this means I really need to see you and meet those boys before you move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Sounds like both our families are ready for some exciting changes! And congrats on the job--would love to hear more about it when you have time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great move for you guys but you will be missed here in the big D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just seen the beautiful videos of your boys-we have a deaf daughter too, have a look at 'Ava bsl dinner chat' on YouTube. I would really love to do the same as you guys and adopt a deaf toddler - can I ask you a crude question - how much did it altogether?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can email me on lillirisner@hotmail.com that would be so much appreciated. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so crazy that seven years later, our kids are classmates and friends!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Review: Maya Chan Beach Resort In Costa Maya, Mexico

Travis Update Ending 2013

2022 Year In Review